I wanted to highlight this Texan who makes everyone, even us who do not really listen to her music, proud of the accomplished woman she has become. My good friend, who owns Aledo’s Best Roofer (www.aledobestroof.com) states that she is his favorite entertainer of all time.
As of 2009, Beyoncé had sold over 118 million records, headlined thee solo tours, starred in seven films, and won ten Grammys. She brings in money from her music sales and publishing, touring and other performances, endorsement deals, film work, fashion collection. This diversification of her portfolio helped land her on FORBES Celebrity 100 list at number 4.
“I started my own company. When I decided to manage myself it was important that I didn’t go to some big management company. I felt like I wanted to follow the footsteps of Madonna and be a powerhouse and have my own empire and show other women when you get to this point in your career you don’t have to go sign with someone else and share your money and your success you do it yourself.” Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
Branding Lessons from Beyoncé’s empire
- Build an entourage of people who can help you execute your vision. Business is best as a team game, no one can do everything. Find people you trust whom you can delegate tall orders to. But, you have to also work as hard or harder as your associates.
- Be authentic and Own your Company. Make it yours, do not let any of the branding be done without your input.
- Connect with your customers/followers on a deep interpersonal basis. Your brand presence needs to be continuous, invariable, and self-evident.
- Be prepared to make painful decisions. You might have to fire your once right hand man, or change locations of the company. You will have to make gut-wrenching choices.
- Operate Outside of the Usual. Do things authentically, directly engaging with your audience and build your brand.
Other Business Lessions
- Beyoncé has multiple streams of income. This seems to be a theme among the wealthy. They do not put their eggs all into one basket.
- Ms Knowles has an entertainment company called Parkwood Entertainment. She also has a clothing line called the House of Deron, launced in 2006 and named after her maternal grandmother.
- She also has learned to protect her assets. Examples include names, videos, photographs, and hashtag phrases.
- She also is not afraid to take risks, she launched her last album with no publicity, she just released it to Itunes.
Beyonce has given much back to the community. She launched Beyonce Cosmetology Center at the Phoenix House in Brooklyn NY which is a drug treatment center; she also donated her acting salary from playing Etta James the blues singer in Cadillac Records (2008)who was a once-drug-addicted. This Center provides beneficial cosmetology skills and job placement. She has also donated to Boys and Girls Club of America, Oxfam, Save the Music Foundation, and Feeding America.